The Brockville Police Service is seeking an experienced officer to join our team starting at a second class constable rank.
The Brockville Police Service was formed in 1832 and serves a community of approximately 22,000 citizens. We have 40 dedicated uniform officers who are supported by 17 full-time civilians and 19 part-time staff which include both civilian and sworn. The Brockville Police Service is a progressive; community oriented Police Service, which owes a great deal of its success to the guidance of our Police Services Board, the cooperation of the citizens of our City, the support of City Council and staff as well as the dedication of our officers and civilian employees.
Overview of the Position
Under the direction of the Patrol Sergeant, the Police Constable – Patrol is responsible for:
- Conducting proactive police initiatives and enhancing the image of the Brockville Police Service.
- Providing support, assistance and leadership to other members within the Brockville Police and community
- Liaising with other agencies including Law Enforcement and Non-Law-Enforcement and as required and other duties as may be assigned.
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws.
Responsibilities – (The following is not an exhaustive list but is a fair representation of expectations)
- Be knowledgeable of, and enforce, the Criminal Code, relevant Provincial statutes and Municipal by-laws
- Investigate criminal complaints, apprehend offenders, lay charges, participate in prosecutions, execute warrants
- Provide leadership and professional support to colleagues and the community
- Investigate allegations of unlawful activity consistent with the provisions of Adequate and Effective Policing regulation of the Police Services Act and the Core Values of the Brockville Police
- Notify witnesses and victims of proceedings and prepare them for court
- Record facts to prepare reports, documenting incidents and daily activities
- Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases
- Use good policing techniques to contribute positively to integrated justice system
- Patrol designated areas responding promptly to calls for assistance
- Monitor, note, report, and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area
- Enforce traffic rules and respond to driving complaints issuing citations or warnings to violators; directing traffic and rerouting in case of emergencies
- Process prisoners, and prepare and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process
- Perform daily administrative activities such as maintaining information files, processing paperwork, documenting activities
- Interact with the Community to build and strengthen working relationships between police and public
- Be cognizant of and make suggestions relating to directives and training relative to criminal investigations
- Prepare crown briefs for court presentation consistent with current legislation and case law
- Execute R.I.D.E. programs
- Resolve conflicts and negotiate with others
- Act as official escorts for parades, funeral processions or events
- Collect, tag and storage of seized and found property
- Obtain and store supplies
- Perform such other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2 years current experience with another police service.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with a demonstrated ability to articulate detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent judgment and decision making,
- Possess strong problem solving skills
- Professional driving skills and experiences
- Strong organizational/time management and multitasking skills;
- Must be self-driven, motivated and able to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to work well with community agencies, victims groups and members of the criminal justice system.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Strong public speaking and meeting facilitation skills
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and holidays
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume and cover letter to the following address on or before Noon EST, December 23rd, 2019:
Chief Scott Fraser
Brockville Police Service
2269 Parkedale Avenue
We would like to thank you for your interest in the Brockville Police Service and only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.