The Brockville Police Service has been “designated” as a Marine Patrol by the Ontario Ministry of the Solicitor General. Our marine vessel “Col. Bill Watson” patrols the St. Lawrence River within the boundaries of the City of Brockville. The vessel can occasionally patrol beyond the boundaries as required. You can find the police boat, a 1996 22′ long Metalcraft custom aluminum 305 fuel injected Volvo Penta 1/0 docked at Tunnel Bay.
In addition to the “Col Watson “ the Brockville Police Service has purchased a personal watercraft, a Honda Aquatrx, this is a versatile watercraft vessel that allows marine officers to respond to all locations on the river that is less accessible by boat.
Members of the Brockville Police Service, who are designated as Marine Operators , undergo annual training and qualification as Marine radio operators, boat operators and orientation with specialized emergency equipment such as fire suppression pump, inflatable rescue boat and casualty transport which is a shared functionality in partnership with the Brockville Fire Department and Leeds-Grenville EMS. The Marine Unit also works in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Ontario Provincial Police in support of Integrated Border Enforcement initiatives.
The primary function of the Marine Unit is:
- Marine patrol for boaters in distress.
- Marine safety checks to ensure boaters are properly equipped in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Detection of incidents of impaired operation of vessels.
- Prevention of dangerous operation of vessels/Sea Doos.
- Violations of the Liquor Licence Act.
- Safety patrols and control of water-based special events on the Brockville waterfront.
- Transport Fire Department to City-owned islands (16) as required to suppress fires, perform rescues or provide assistance.
- Transport injured persons from islands who are in need of an ambulance in partnership with the Leeds Ambulance Service.
- Patrol, in partnership with Canadian Coast Guard, RCMP, OPP and USA Coast Guard, USA police/Sheriff marine units for operational police requirements as needed.
- Rescue of any person in difficulty on the waterway.
The Marine Unit assists those in need on the river. The Brockville Police Service promotes safe and enjoyable recreation on our local waterways, as well as coordinating boating and water safety for special events on the St Lawrence River within the City of Brockville such as the Poker Run, Hydro plane races and other water based events.